Take a FREE test drive of the DBS and manage up to 20 subscriber IPs — For more information, click here.
Tiers of Service
ISPs and the hospitality industry can cost effectively deliver a variety of bandwidth service levels to their subscribers and then charge their subscribers and guests accordingly. The only constraints to service levels offered are existing infrastructure and the available WAN bandwidth delivered to the network. When designing service levels these constraints need to be kept in mind.
To design effective service levels it's important to understand the bandwidth required for the successful smooth playing of IPES. For example, the following transfer rates are required for a single user watching video online:
- 1080p HDTV bit-rate is 4.5 Mbps
- 720p HDTV bit-rate is 2.25 Mbps
- 480p EDTV bit-rate is 1.3 Mbps
- 360p SDTV bit-rate is 740 kbps
Upon initiating DBS service, the ISP can take advantage of the existing library of dynamic bandwidth shaping scripts. These scripts include various tiers of service that have been designed specifically for the transmission rates required for smooth video delivery at the desired resolutions. Rates are described in bits-per-second (down / up):
- Tier 1 3M/1M 25GB Monthly. Penalty box 201k/201.
- Tier 2 1M/256k supports 360SDTV bit rate. Total traffic 1GB download per 24hr clock cycle = 2hr 45min viewing time for 360SDTV. Penalty Box 201k/201k.
- Tier 3 2M/512k supports 480EDTV bit rate. Total traffic 1.5GB download per 24hr clock cycle = 2hr 37.5min viewing time for 480EDTV or 4hr 360SDTV. Penalty Box 201k/201k.
- Tier 3.1 2M/512k supports 480EDTV bit rate. Traffic between 12a – 6am doesn't count toward total traffic of 1.0GB/512MB. Speeds set on a 24hr clock cycle. Penalty Box 512k/201k.
- Tier 3.5 2M/512k supports 480EDTV bit rate. Traffic between 12a – 6am doesn't count toward a total traffic of 1.5GB/512MB. Speeds set on a 24hr clock cycle = 2hr 37.5min viewing time for 480EDTV or 4hr 360SDTV. Penalty Box 201k/201k.
- Tier 4 3M/1M Max limit supports 720HDTV bit rate. Total traffic 3GB download per 24hr clock cycle = 2hr 45min viewing time for 720HDTV, 5hr 30min 480EDTV or 8hr 15min 360SDTV. Penalty Box 201k/201k.
- Tier 5 7M/2M Max limit supports 1080HDTV bit rate. Total traffic 6GB download per 24hr clock cycle = 2hr 45min viewing time for 1080HDTV, 5hr 30min 720HDTV, 11hrs 480EDTV or continuous 360SDTV. Penalty Box 1M/256k.
- Free Tier 2M/512k Max Limit. Max Traffic 75MB per 24 hr clock cycle. 2GB per month. Penalty Box 50k/50k.
Customized scripts are created by our staff and are usually created with minimal effort. Normally, these scripts are added to the existing library for others to use. If an ISP wants scripts to be developed for their own exclusive use, those scripts will cost more than if they share scripts with other DBS users.
... everyone is enjoying high speed access, whereas before the DBS was doing its thing, bandwidth was completely consumed by a handful of people and the experience was lousy for everyone ... The majority wins, the ISP makes money and the handful of bandwidth hogs are dealt with.
River District Manager, Swift Wireless